Novel Study Book Choice-Girlfriend in a Coma

Girlfriend in a Coma- Douglas Coupland

In our novel study unit, we had seven different books to choose from. Huckleberry Finn, Girlfriend in a Coma, Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, Little Brother, Snow falling on Cedars, and Persepolis. Go here to see a bit about each book.

However, I have chosen the book Girlfriend in a Coma, by Douglas Coupland. Why, you ask(if indeed you do)? Well, firstly, the(presumably) except my teacher posted with the book.
Ask whatever challenges dead and thoughtless beliefs. Ask: When did we become human beings and stop being whatever it was we were before this? Ask: What was the specific change that made us human? Ask: Why do people not particularly care about their ancestors more than three generations back? Ask: Why are we unable to think of any future beyond, say, a hundred years from now? Ask: How can we begin to think of the future as something enormous before us that also includes us? Ask: Having become human, what is it that we now doing or creating that will transform us into whatever it is that we are slated to next become?

That alone piqued my interest substantially, more than most things do. A mix of philosphy, wit, and what is, in my opinoin, an engaging writing style, is mroe than enough to make me want to read that book.

The Times said of the book “a disturbing, thought-provoking and moving novel. Girlfriend in a Coma has something of the quality of a fairytale, but it contains a sharp realism that makes the book scarily contemporary”. I like thought provoking things.

Not to mention that Douglas Coupland is the writer of the famous Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series, which is quite honestly either the funniest or the most insane book ever written.

So, I really want to read this book.

5 thoughts on “Novel Study Book Choice-Girlfriend in a Coma

1. Glad to hear you are excited to read some Coupland, Liam! I should point out though, that I will need to see what people’s choices are before everyone’s preferences can be finalized; in any case, hopefully you wind up reading Girlfriend in a Coma sooner or later! Also, Douglas Adams wrote the Hitchhiker’s Guide…

Looking forward to the novel study myself,

Mr. J

2. Was it Adams? I thought it was, then my mom said “No, it was Coupland.” Bloody hell. Thank you.

3. Hi Liam

Your teacher is right. It is Adams. Coupland wrote Generation X. I would have chosen to read To Kill a Mockingbird or Catcher in the Rye. I’ve read them at least five or six times or more and there is still always something new I can appreciate. I wonder how many people are re-reading Generation X… The title of the novel comes from a Smiths song (British band – lead singer Morrissey).

Claudine – from New Zealand (for those unenlightened Cluster map people…)

4. I don’t recall telling you that Liam but if you would like to blame me….ok. I agree with Claudine on Catcher in the Rye. I bought it for you at Xmas and do hope you read it one day.
    mom

5. Pingback: Andrew B. Watt's Essay Encouragement | Adventures in a Gifted Classroom