Where lies the blame?

(I have no idea what goes wrong at the bottom of this post.)

In finding five websites to bookmark on Haiti today, I found one I thought it would be fun to blog about, though I will not be blogging about the article itself.

The articles is about the Christian evangelist Pat Robertson. It has a nice layout, well written. And that’s all I have to say about the article.

As most people may know, Pat Robertson was the one that made the hugely controversial statement-several times, actually-that Haitians are the ones to blame for this disaster. His reasoning-if you can call it that-is that back in 1791-you know, 219 years ago? Anyway, back in 1791, the oppressed Haitian slaves got together and swore a pact with the devil, to follow him in exchange for his help to defeat the French. Now, apparently, God has gotten around to payback time on his to-do list(It’s on there a lot). Here, just read the quote.

“And you know, Kristi, something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it. They were under the heel of the French, you know, Napoleon the Third and whatever, and they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, ‘We will serve you if you’ll get us free from the French.’ True story. And so the devil said, ‘O.K., it’s a deal.’ “

Alright. Seriously, now. It is a real problem that people like this exist in the world, and they do so because of their religion. I know most people will think “Hey, it’s just one guy. One lunatic. He doesn’t represent everybody.” And that’s true. But the thing is, he has followers. There are thousands of people in the US alone that subscribe to this…worldview.
Of course it’s not because 200 years ago, Haitians made a pact with the devil! Haiti lies on a fault line. Simple geology caused the disaster, and poor development exacerbated it. “Human sin” did not cause it. And yet, with every disaster-ever-religious figures blame it on sin, whether it be that they follow another religion, they were not pious enough, or one dude tripped and dropped a wafer or something, they blame it on some form of human wrongdoing. At the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, for example, Muslim imams blamed it on the people shirking their prayers.
Alright, that’s really all I have to say-that people doing this is despicable.

2 thoughts on “Where lies the blame?

1. Pingback: Parisian Love | Mr. Jackson's Blogosphere

2. Pingback: Parisian Love | Adventures in a Gifted Classroom